Monday, November 05, 2007

India booms ?

Guys, It's been quite sometime since I blogged anything. Work pressure kept me tied down for the last one month or so. Now I'm back.

I came across an article by P. Sainath(Magsaysay award winning journalist)about India's perceived economical growth. Well, India is booming. The Stock markets are rocketing, IT is a super success story, Manufacturing going great guns, Indian companies acquiring much bigger global companies. Whatever news channel you watch or whatever magazines you flip over you come across such success stories that fills your heart with pride. But when the clouds of pride melt away you see the real picture. India was ranked 94th on Global Hunger Index out of 114 countries. This means India manages it's hunger very badly and thats true. I read sometime ago that people were starving to death in Orissa while food grains were rotting away in Food Corporation of India's go downs. And I saw no one from the government uttering a single word about this. Just think of what happened when the BSE SENSEX crashed. The Finance Minister came out with all kinds of assurances that India's growth story is intact and there is nothing to worry. And see how many share market investors are there? half a million or a million. Anyway there are millions starving away and nothing is being done about it.

What we see by India's growth is consolidation of wealth and not distribution. There is no trickle down effect as far I see. Yes you can't demand wealth has to be distributed uniformly in a democratic nation. But the government's apathy towards the downtrodden is criminal. I wonder what would be the picture 5 years down the line. A country of a few super rich people and a marginalized majority?. The challenge before the law makers is how to bring social equality. And I hope this time they don't fail us

11 Comments:

Blogger quintarantino said...

Welcome back, man.
I was starting to get worried about you. No posts. And by the way, we are all waiting to see you around on UNITEDPHOTOS...

As for your post I reckon the main problem India will face is quite similar to the one Portugal and other countries are facing nowadays.

Few super or rich people and many not being even able to stay in the so called middle class. It´s a very big problem.

And not an easy one to solve too.

4:09 AM  
Blogger Rowdy said...

@Quint. Thanks a lot for your concern. I was really busy with work. Now it has eased a bit. I'll post more pictures now onwards.

Yeah what you said is absolutely true. The uneven distribution of wealth would definitely make this world a dangerous place to live.

5:07 AM  
Blogger bluemountainmama said...

it IS a crying shame that anyone should starve, while we throw out food that is pefectly good, just b/c we didn't get around to eating it before it went bad. i just don't know what the answer is. but it's heartbreaking. it even happens here, in the states, although not on such a large scale as in india. i hope, as a world community, we can find some answers to this senseless dilemma...

5:54 AM  
Blogger Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Hi Rowdy,

Have a lightfull
and
a HAPPY DIWALA:)!!!!

JoAnn from Holland:)

(btw please let me know how you celebrated yours?)

8:33 AM  
Blogger Movie Mazaa said...

Great to see ya back Rowdy, with a real sensible post. I shud say u have put forward a very valid point that many of us choose to overlook even as we remain mesmerised by the so called economic boom that has been in the news for some time now!!

Happy Diwali wishes!!
:)

9:39 AM  
Blogger Seema B Menon said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. Long time no see! How r u? Looking forward for more good blogs from u...

1:46 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Good thoughts there Rowdy. I recently had a talk about this with a colleague and cudnt agree when he said "selfishness attributes to the common progress". But what can be done from our, the citizen's part?

Am soon going to write about the "Luckiest working class", that is people from IT.

12:51 AM  
Blogger Rowdy said...

@bluemountainmama

It's not a shame rather a crime to throw away food. And the poor is getting poorer as each day passes by.

@Jo Ann
My Diwali was good. With fire crackers and good food :))).

@mm
Thanks MM. Hope you too had a blast. Yeah we are often mesmerized by the boom... rather we turn a blind eyes towards the real picture.

@Jo
I guess we can start small help groups which would work in the local communities.

3:47 AM  
Blogger Jo's-D-Eyes said...

HI Rowdy<
November 20TH

Thank you so much for your celebration (for my birthday)! and your interest in me, and my trip to Paris. Its a fantastic!! city and I will publice soon some great views from my point of (digital) view , and you know me 'always playing with my camera' I'm Glad to be back, I missed YOU too:)

JoAnn :)see you!

9:36 AM  
Blogger Seema B Menon said...

Lovely blog, as usual! How r ya?

10:31 PM  
Blogger Movie Mazaa said...

....and ofcourse a very merry xmas and an extremely wonderful new year to u! do hv a blast!
:)

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home