Thursday, September 13, 2007

To be Rama or not to be Rama........

I just couldn't stop myself from laughing my head off when I heard this news and reactions to it. Yeah its true that there is no historical evidence of Ram or "Ramar Sethu" but what about the religious backlash the news is going to create ?. The Hindu fundamentalists would see this as a heaven sent opportunity to whip up the communal passion because they believe elections are round the corner. Meanwhile it'd be interesting to see how the Congress tackles the issue as the party, I believe, is in a quandary. They just can't support or reject the affidavit given by ASI. I think the coming days would be really unraveling and you could see political "oneupmanship" among the parties.

I'd rather be concerned about the ecological impact of the project because it's definitely going to affect the marine flora and fauna found in the Palk straits, most of the species being endangered ones. And the economical importance of the project(it is going to shorten the sailing time for ships bound for Tuticorin port) cannot be neglected. Well the shipping channel wouldn't be bringing the mother-ships as the proposed draught doesn't allow that, still it should be economically viable as most of the ships sailing there can utilize the shortest pass thus saving valuable money. I do hope that this would materialize causing minimal damage to the marine ecology that is so rare there.

Now back to the religious front. The historical evidence of Hindu gods cannot be determined by usual methods because you probably wouldn't find any historical documents on that. And for a long time we see history interwoven with mythology and it's really difficult to see where History ends and mythology starts or vice versa. I remember reading a book written by eminent historian A.L.Basham. The views propagated by him are informative as well as controversial. What I mean by controversial is the view on Ram and Krishna would really ruffle many a feather. You know Ram has been worshiped only since 10th century A.D. rather Bhagavad Gita was added to Maha Bharata only around 800 A.D. These are views which would really hurt some one but that's the way History is created. You either can believe it or rubbish it. I felt nothing but curiosity to explore further and the journey still continues with occasional hiccups.

As I write this, just got the news that the government has decided to withdraw the affidavit which rather passes the ball back to the Hindu gang. Well I don't see an answer to this imbroglio which is slowly brewing to a major storm and will it end up as a storm in a tea cup or be a whirlwind...... only time will tell...

Labels: , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Looking at all the things that are done and said in the name of religion...now nothing surprises me...people have manhandled religion in every possible way..some using it and some abusing it.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Rowdy said...

@Shruthi
You are spot on. It's been happening for ages because this is an easy way,rather a perilous one, to grab power. Religion like history is a very power tool which can unite or segregate people.

Meanwhile thanks for visiting my blog. Hope to see you more. :)

11:26 PM  
Blogger quintarantino said...

I guess I'll start reading this blog more frequently. Giving some interessting information about things happening in India that nobody hears of.

7:29 AM  
Blogger quintarantino said...

By the way... you can check on my collective project on portuguesemanofwar.blogspot.com. Inspite the name, we are quite peaceful blokes.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Rowdy said...

@Quint

Thanks for visiting. You have a great blog out there which is a part of my 'cyber diet'. Looking forward to seeing you more.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Pijush said...

Yes now it is quite a burning issue, BJP will try to make best out of it and Congress is also handled it badly.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Rowdy said...

@piyush

Yup, it's snowballed into a major controversy will all and sundry joining the bandwagon.

By the way wish u a great sunday too.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

The historical evidence of any Gods cannot be proven. We don't know if Rama was just a good King who ruled once upon a time and if the God image was added later. We don't know if Jesus was just a social reformer or a good preacher. We don't know prophet Mohammed was just a good leader who protected his tribe. Nobody knows nothing for sure. While thinking of this, one part of me goes on the atheist way and the other part of me, who needs a support for everything I do, relies on God. And that lack of self confidence, as I believe, attributes to the growth of religion, priesthood, Godmen/women and all other such establishments.

History is such a boring subject.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

I don't know how you are going to take this, but one of my early posts on the subject here: http://desicritics.org/2007/06/18/000831.php

9:40 AM  
Blogger Rowdy said...

@Jo.

I believe we all have a kinda dual character where one part just conforms to the traditional view point while the other desperately struggles to think out of the box. I do believe in God and at the same history fascinates me. :). And I don't feel offended when some historian says there is no proof for the existence of so and so gods because belief doesn't require any rationale ;)

And regarding your second post. I don't have any problem with that article. I had believed in some of their ideology as I had believed in communism when I was a little younger. I really believe I've grown over that and I still have my politics rather an issue based one.

We have had pretty heated arguments and calling names in the past but I realize the futility of that. I apologize for whatever happened from my side and yours is a blog I enjoy reading a lot.

And do come again. :)

11:25 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Hi, glad to know that you took that article in the positive sense. No need of any apologies because in the online world, people including myself, have reservations and doubts about others which is quite obvious. What does matter is if we grow above that state. And I can see the beginning of a healthy relationship here, so I should say thanks to those heated arguments. :-) Thank you, will come back again.

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home